Legal Blogs

How Do I Collect My Judgment?

How Do I Collect My Judgment?female-judge-gavel

So you have been successful in a lawsuit and obtained a money judgment to compensate you for harm you have suffered. The other side refuses to pay, claims they are unable to pay, or is threatening to appeal or file for bankruptcy. How can you collect on your judgment? Prevailing in a lawsuit is often only half the battle, particularly when enforcement of a judgment involves a going business, interrelated corporate entities, a business’ trademarks or copyrights, or insolvent businesses and bankruptcy considerations. The business litigation attorneys of Brown & Charbonneau, LLP can help. We have experience aggressively collecting and enforcing all forms of judgments and have litigated the nuances and potential pitfalls for the inexperienced.

Can I Recover the Costs of Collection?

 The amount required to satisfy a money judgment is the total amount of the judgment entered, in addition to costs incurred to enforce the judgment and accrued interest. Costs may include the statutory fees for obtaining and serving judicial writs and orders, and the costs of recording documents with the County Recorder. The rate of interest on a money judgment is 10 percent per year, commencing on the day the judgment is entered.

Attorney fees incurred in enforcing a judgment may also be recovered where the judgment provides for an award of contractual attorney fees, or when otherwise provided by law.

Getting Legal Help

 Brown & Charbonneau, LLP represents individuals as well as large and small companies in cases involving all forms of judgment collection. If you involved in a judgment enforcement matter, or would like to learn about your rights and how to protect your business, we can provide you with the information you need. Call today 714 505-3000 to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you. Se Habla Español.