Legal Blogs

Can A Court Judgment Be Set Aside or Voided?

Was a Judgment Improperly Entered Against You?  Make a Motion to Set it Aside Immediately!

Setting Aside Judgments

California Courts grant judgments in favor of plaintiffs and defendants every single day.  However, often times, errors are made and improper judgments are granted.  There are many different situations in which improper judgments may arise.   For example, a court that renders judgment may not have had proper jurisdiction in the first place.  In another case, the party whom judgment was rendered against may not have been given proper notice of the action.  In yet another case, even when the parties enter into a stipulated judgment, that same judgment may later prove to be unsuitable, unfair, or entered into based on fraudulent information.  In either case, once a final judgment is obtained, parties have options to seek an alternate resolution.  Depending on the circumstances, one option is to file a motion to set aside the judgment.

Under California law, a party has the ability to have an order or judgment set aside. Pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure (“CCP) § 473, “the court may, upon any terms as may be just, relieve a party…from a judgment.” An application to set aside a judgment under CCP § 473 must be made within a “reasonable time” and in no case may exceed six months.  Relief from a judgment is available under CCP § 473 (within 6 months from judgment) for mistake, inadvertence, surprise or excusable neglect.

During the period when relief under section 473 is available, there is a strong public policy in favor of granting relief and allowing the requesting party his or her day in court.  Beyond this period, there is a strong public policy in favor of the finality of judgments and only in exceptional circumstances should relief be granted. Marriage of Kieturakis (2006) 138 Cal. App. 4th 56.  Therefore, it is extremely important to contact an experienced litigation attorney early to ensure you retain the opportunity to set aside an improper judgment.

Getting Legal Help

If you are involved in a dispute concerning unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business practices, it is smart to speak with a top-rated Irvine litigation attorney.  Our team of experienced business litigation attorneys and trial specialists are here to help. Contact Brown & Charbonneau, LLP today by calling 714-505-3000 to schedule your appointment or email us at

For the latest legal news, follow Brown & Charbonneau, LLP on Twitter and join us on FacebookInstagram, and LinkedIn.

Should you have any other issues involving any of the below areas of practice, please feel free to contact us.

Our website is full of valuable information and resources.  Our goal is to provide as much information as possible to assist all our clients in making fully informed decisions.  Just click any area of interest.

Brown & Charbonneau, LLP publications should not be construed as legal advice on any specific facts or circumstances. The contents are intended for general information purposes only and may not be quoted or referred to in any other publication or proceeding without the prior written consent of the Firm, to be given or withheld at our discretion. To request reprint permission for any of our publications, please contact us. The mailing of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The views set forth herein are the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Firm.