For some litigants, representation by a lawyer in their entire family law case is not necessary, or even an affordable option. In addition to traditional litigation and mediation, Brown & Charbonneau, LLP offers this third option in Family Law matters. Limited scope representation offers the benefits of experienced legal advice and guidance without the costs of paying an attorney to handle all aspects of your case. Limited scope representation is a cost-effective and efficient alternative to traditional litigation representation in your family law case.
What Is Limited Scope Representation?
Until recently, a party to a family litigation only had two options – retain the services of an attorney for the entire case or proceed without legal representation. Often, however, a retained attorney for the entire case is not necessary or the financial resources to retain a lawyer for traditional representation are not available. At the same time, the idea of litigating even a relatively simple dispute without access to an attorney is daunting. Limited scope representation may be a viable option for you. With limited scope representation, you can devote resources to a specific legal issue or to a particular aspect of the litigation. By way of illustration, you might benefit from limited scope representation if you wish to:
- Represent yourself through the whole case, but consult with an attorney who gives you advice on the law, procedures and strategy.
- Have an attorney prepare the requisite paperwork, but you attend a hearing by yourself.
- Prepare the paperwork yourself, but have an attorney represent you in court at a hearing.
- Hire an attorney to defend or conduct a deposition.
- Hire an attorney to litigate a limited issue at a court hearing.
- Have the benefit of an attorney during negotiations of a settlement.
- Consult with an attorney for advice regarding an upcoming mediation; however, the attorney does not accompany you to the mediation.
- Hire an attorney to appear with you at a settlement conference or mediation, but not at any court hearings.
The attorneys at Brown & Charbonneau, LLP understand that traditional litigation is not the best route for every legal dispute which is why we offer limited scope representation as an alternative option for resolving your case. Contact the team today by calling 714-505-3000 or completing our online contact form.